If you find your WordPress login is not working and nothing happens and you are 100% sure of the username and password then there are 3 steps to follow.
This is a fairly rare issue but one that can easily cause a headache, usually the result of an oversight or typo.
However it is very easily fixed.
This article assumes you have administrative privileges in your wordpress login. If you do not, contact your provider.
- Type your domain name with the www. part into a web browser address bar (not google)
- eg: www.mydomainname.com – if your website shows up, move on. If not see the note at the bottom of this article.
- Then in the address bar type in the same domain name without the www. part
- eg: mydomainname.com – If your website forwards to www.mydomainname.com then move on to the next step.
- In order to login, click on the ‘lost password’ link.
- Don’t enter anything
- Click the ‘log in’ link, this will return you to the wordpress login screen
- Enter your username / login and password and then login
- Then go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘General’
- Now check the fields, ‘WordPress Address’ and ‘Site Address’ have the same url.
- If one is missing the www. part then add this in – typically to the WordPress Address field.
- Make any changes and save your changes.
- You will then be able to login
If you typed in ‘mydomainname.com’ and your website didn’t forward to ‘www.mydomainname.com’ the your domain/hosting provider probably hasn’t setup a ‘www’ record for you.
In that case, you can still get this fix to work, just make sure you remove ‘www.’ from both the WordPress Address and Site Address fields above.
If you don’t have a WWW domain record setup for your domain we recommend you ask your domain provider to ensure this is setup.